Tuesday, April 28, 2009

My Deep Roots

I’m from hunting camo,
with guns and ammo in my closet.
I’m from Uncle Jeff’s picnic table,
memories stored in the wood like a picture
over long nights.
I’m from Fillin’ the freezer,
every deer season with tasty meat.
I’m from hanging deer,
from rafters in Jeff’s garage.
I’m from the cool morning,
the day of rifle season.
I’m from loving my family,
like a fat kid loves cake.


I’m from playing Dominoes,
all night Mexican Train game with Sam.
I’m from BSing all night,
with my family
about hunting and great times
I’m from crab legs once a year,
at my Aunt Jackie’s.
I’m from tractors,
In the yard.


I’m from BBQ and Beer cans,
going to the BVI on Friday.
I’m from playing with the dogs,
Maddie and Maggie hunting together.
I’m from porch sitting,
playing Rummy,
or watching the sunset
I’m from hunting stories,
modified to sound better.
I’m from Mustang Round-Up,
having fun with friends,
I’m from Dodge,
trucks and 4x4.
I’m from being an army brat,
to a country boy over the years.

2 comments:

Jordyn D. said...

What stood out to me in your poem is I'm an army brat, to a country boy over the years. One line that I can relate to is I'm from loving my family like a fat kid loves cake. Good job on your poem!

Jessica C said...

One of my favorite lines is the one that you said that you love your family like a fat kid loves cake. That really expresses your love for your family