Tuesday, April 28, 2009

My “Where I’m From”
Preston S Hess

I am from seeds,
From water and sweat,
(Stalks, growing like many
Children sprouting)
Parents our providers,
I am from the busy, the hustling and running,
screaming and crying.
Family one coming one going,
New family member every two years.

I am from homemade pizza and crayons,
from Glenn and Cheryl.
I’m from the Smart cookies,
and the dumb doornails.
from working hard or hardly working.
I’m from rabbits who pop out kids faster
than the oven pops out burgers at Micky Ds.

I’m from Adelyn and Clifford’s farm
Pancakes and Tea.
From the ring finger my dad lost
to the auger.
The hair my dad is starting to lose
and the hair my grandpa has already lost.
In my closet is a big green tub full
of drawing and pictures.
Good friends that I haven’t seen in many years.
I am from those slivers in time
After all that’s happened,
I am proud of where I’m from.

2 comments:

Autumn R said...

A phrase that really stood out to me would have to be this one, "I’m from the Smart cookies, and the dumb doornails. from working hard or hardly working. I’m from rabbits who pop out kids faster than the oven pops out burgers at Micky Ds." It stood out because nobody else put anything this funny in their poem.
The part i could relate to the most would be " I am from the busy, the hustling and running, screaming and crying." just because my niece lives with us and we are always in a rush to get things done.
I couldn't connect to the sentence about a new family member every two years thats just because we really don't have a big family.
But over all i really liked your poem it gave me a picture of where you came from.

carly said...

Hi preston! I liked you poem even though its different from mine.