Sunday, April 26, 2009

where i'm from :)

I am from pencil shavings,
from crayons and scented vacuum bags.
I am from the smell of an old book, and the sound it makes when being opened after a long time.
I am from the holly bushes and the big tree that leans over my house to look in on us.

I am from the homemade chocolate chip cookies
and notebook doodles. From old-school
rap and R&B.
I am from the jokes and the side-splitting laughs,
the music and the culture.
I am from "Easy Like Sunday Morning" blasted loud while my father cooks,
the smell of country biscuits at one relatives house, and spaghetti and meatballs at another.

I am from the days spent watching The Cosby Show,
the snow days and hot chocolate.
From my father's mannerisms, and my mother's strong values.
In my mind swirling are the times spent reminscing,
and the memories soon to come.
I am from the smells, the sounds, and the tastes.
In myself, i see how cultures that once clashed, now combine.

4 comments:

Billy H. said...

The line that sticks out the most and draws a picture in my head is the line "I am from the smell of an old book, and the sound it makes when being opened after a long time." The line that I can most relate to is "I am from homemade chocolate chip cookies and notebook doodles." The reason for this is because I love cookies and I do not have one notebook that doesn't have doodles in it.

Joey.T said...

The line that sticks out the most to me is I am from the homemade chocolate chip cookies and notebook doodles.
Because my mom sometimes make home chocolate chip cookies and I sometimes notebook doodle in class so that is the line that sticks out to me

Paige.A. said...

Bri, I thought that your poem was really good. The line that sticks out to me the most and the one that I can relate to is, In myself, I see how cultures that once clashed, now combine. I thought overall that your poem was really awsome.

bri said...

thank you guys! i appreciate the comment so much! for me this poem was not only fun, but an indulgence in nostalgia as i remembered all the little things of my childhood. i wanted to close my poem with the line "in myself i see how cultures that once clashed now combine" because my dad is black and my mom is white and i felt that without representing that about myself i would have left a empty spce in the poem.(o_O)


-bri
=]