Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Why do they call us rednecks?

I love to feel mud between my toes, the smell of fish, and the wind racing through my hair while riding my horse. Just because I love the outdoors does not necessarily mean I am a redneck. I may do goofy things such as get stuck in the mud with my 4-wheeler or go swimming in the river but that does not mean that I am not smart in school and have less chance of going to college. It’s the feeling of becoming one with nature that makes me want more of the outdoors. People have to experience the feeling to actually know what it is like. The outdoors is a place for me to listen to the sounds of deer sneaking through the forest, wild turkeys gobbling, the ghostly sounds of an owl, fish splashing, and just the wind softly moving the leaves. Is this why people think I am a redneck, just because I am addicted to nature? I am proud of who I am and what I have. Not many people can go outside and a couple feet from their house is the blue river. People might say or think we have buckteeth, hay sticking out of our mouths, overalls, or “Corn Fed.” Yes, I eat corn but I do not have weird looking teeth and do not own a pair of overalls. I may chew on a piece of hay once in a while just to look cool. My whole point to get across is that I am proud of who I am and I won’t change. I might act like a redneck but that doesn’t mean I can’t put on a dress and receive good grades. We live in different backgrounds but, we should be thankful for what we have.

2 comments:

Rebekah J. said...

You put a piece of hay in your mouth to look cool??:)

bri said...

i like this piece a lot because you not only state that you are proud of who you are, you describe the little things about your lifestyle that make you content with it. and i think that is a great way to show your true colors. :)