Sunday, April 19, 2009

stereotypes?

Honestly, in my opinion, stereotypes are really just facts about a small percentage of a general group that has been overly exaggerated and used to [sometimes harmfully] describe a whole group instead of the small percentage of people the original fact pertained to.
Unfortunately, this tends to have a negative effect on both a group of individuals as a whole as well as the people who use this. It can also create unnecessary tensions.
I do not think that Nebraska is a state soley populated with rednecks. I'm sure that there are people like that in Nebraska, but I have seen people like that who live in New York also!
That also kinda helps me elaborate on my next point. I don't think that New York is filled with rude, obnoxious individuals. However, I do agree that coming across people like that is more common in places like New York City. I also think that there is a boundary that distinguishes pride from being stuck up. I am proud of my state along with my peers, as well as you guys are in Nebraska. And I think that it's a great thing to be proud of where you live. I don't think that all of New York is engulfed in an impatient atmosphere, and i do acknowledge the fact that it is more fast-paced than Nebraska. Also, I see that Nebraska tends to have a more relaxed, easy-going lifestyle, and to me that seems very enjoyable. I feel that the only pro's and con's about living in either state is only determined by each person and their likes and dislikes. I also feel that understanding and respect is the hammer that can shatter the glass wall that stereotypes have formed between us. :)

5 comments:

Jordyn D. said...

Wow.. You are deep! I love your piece! It is so true and I relate so much to what you said in your piece.

PrestonH said...

You useda lot of big words =you have a great vocabulary and it sounds to me you know exactly where you were going when you wrote this.

Rebekah J. said...

I agree with what you said on how the people in New York are more proud then stuck up even though i have never been to New York. But I also think that every place has some stuck up people even here at McCool and I can honestly say that there are some rednecks in Nebraska like the ones that drive a lawn mower around town because they have nothing better to do, while we are at track practice. haha.

Taylor N said...

I agree with almost everything you said this was a very good piece

bri said...

hey guys, thanks for the comments :) and i am so happy that you guys related to this piece, that was my goal in writing this!