Monday, March 23, 2009

A Childhood Memory

One childhood memory that I can still remember very clearly was when I lived in Manhattan . I remember one day my mother, two sisters, and I headed out to see my grandmother who was admitted into Mount Sinai Hospital in NYC. My older sister Jetty was 15 and my other sister was 1 at the time. It was a beautiful day, sunny and warm, and a nice day to walk. So we went, and even though my grandmother was in the hospital, we were happy because we were going to be seeing her. As we are walking my older sister Jetty decides that she wants to push my baby sister's carriage. Me, being the little spoiled brat I was, decided that I wanted to push it too. I start yelling and screaming, saying "Mom! Tell Jetty to give me the carriage!". My sister, being playful, started to push the carriage fast and then started to run with it, with my little sister in the carriage. I then started running after my sister who was pushing the carriage. I was running so fast, that I tripped and fell on the sidewalk near a lot of broken glass. I started screaming at the top of my lungs. Since we were just around the corner from the hospital, my mom carried me and we went over to the emergency room. When we got to the emergency room, little innocent me was yelling, " I don't want to die!" and I was crying hysterically. The nurse who took care of me had given me a mirror to see my face. My whole left side of my face was scraped and bloody. Thank God we were near a hospital and I was able to be taken care of quickly. Afterward we went to see my grandmother who had suffered a stroke and had lost her memory. But she did remember me. The first thing she said when she saw me was, "Ay, que paso a la nena?", in spanish and in english meaning, "Aw, what happened to the little girl?". My mother told her everything that happened and my grandmother gave me a hug and comforted me. Today, I look back at this memory and I laugh. I was a very silly little kid. Even though back then, I was very upset and horrified at what happened, today I see it as something minor and funny.

5 comments:

PrestonH said...

That was a really descriptive story i could picture everything if that's a good thing broken glass face all bloody yea a lot of detail. Kind of reminds of a story when i fell through a big bay window glass shards rained down on me and i was all bloody to so i can kinda relate. maybe. you had a really great story thou.

Paige.A. said...

Nina, Your story was really descriptive and it sounds like that was a horrible day for you. Well I can relate to something similar to that and when I was about five years old I was about five years old and the phone rang so me and my sister were running to get the phone and I slipped and fell and hit my lip on the on the corner of the coffee table and there was a gash in my lip and and there was blood running down my face so my mom and dad had to take me to the emergency room and i had to get about six stitches on my lip.

Sade said...

hahaha nina your story is funny and very descriptive...wow it was a good thing you were near a hospital because your face could have been ughh..lets not even talk about lolz.

Nina said...

Thanks guys for the comments! ;)
We all have very interesting stories, sometimes we can relate.

Preston - "Bay window", sounds BIG. I was little, so what I though was big, is actually very little today. I didn't bleed all that much. :P But wow. Thanks, glad you found my story great.

Paige - Stiches?! I've never had them, thank God. Sounds scary. But yes it was a horrible day for me, especially since I was so young. Thanks for commenting on my story. :)

Nina said...

Sade - it's like you to leave me a comment like that..lmao