Monday, March 23, 2009

Memory

My brother and I are both in the car. Mom is still not inside and we were free from the irritating seat belts that strapped us in. My brother then decides he'll pretend to drive. I look at my brother's expressions and want to see what could have been so entertaining. I remember slowly crawling and managing to squeeze myself in between the drivers seat and shotgun. My unexperienced legs seemed clueless, and I appeared to be a bit stuck. So, i grabbed the nearest object to pull myself forward, and that just happened to be the shifter for the car. Mind still hazy, I either put the car in drive or in neutral, when all of a sudden, the car lurched forward down the hill. I was softly bumped to my desired position and turned to Aaron to let him know of my success. At that moment, he looked at me, wondering why his imagination became actuality. The car was moving, and our mom seemed so far away. Riding down a road of panic and excitement, my mind was overwhelmed by how little options i had to save myself. It seemed to be too much, and I closed my eyes, tightly. I opened them, and at that moment, what appeared to be a blur, had suddenly wrenched the car door open, landed right on top of my brother, and as if all sound was muted, I opened my eyes to see a gasping mother holding tightly to the hand brakes of the car. Then she looked at me, gazing at my emotions, and with her silent expression had said everything that needed to be said without  single word.
So far, this is one of the earliest memories that I could recall. Most parts were recollected and consulted with my brother who was also with me at the time. I could say, that I've always been trying to follow in his footsteps. I believe him to be a good role model, and I continue to do this. Sometimes, I cannot remake his actions, and might screw up at times, like in this situation. With my moms appearance, it could resemble the strong connection one has with their parents and family. It could also have signified tat your family would be there even at the impossible of times. Sad though, that my bro got the spanking.

4 comments:

Shorty said...

Wow Michael this is a very good story. I can see where your coming from and I also could also picture everything in your story. One part I had to read a couple times over to understand it, but I finally got it.

Wade O. said...

Hi, Michael I also had a few driving memories when I was little. I didn't go down a hill but I did pull out of the drive way. I some how shifted into neutral and I started to roll back wards into the street. Lucky I live in cul-de-sac a and there never is never any traffic. My mother came out after I sat there for a while my mom finally came out and drove the car back in. I do not remember her giving me a spanking but knowing her I'm sure she did. It happened a few more times after that.

Dalton said...

This is actually funny because Mr. Balch told us your story in class, but when I was younger, my best friend and I took the emergency brake off and the car rolled down a slope into the middle of the road. We jumped out of the car and ran as fast as we could away.

Michael P. said...

Hey guys, thanks for commenting. Shorty, I'm glad that you were able to visualize my memory and hopefully you could tell me what was a bit unclear to you.To Wade, Yup those were some pretty awesome times. But now i guess we are all just about ready to drive legally and there is no stopping us!!!!