Monday, March 23, 2009

Moving Houses

For many years my dad has been moving houses. Along with my grandpa, uncles, and cousins. I have gone along with them and other family members for most of my life. Helping them with anything and everything I could.
First thing that had to be done was I had to get a hard hat, so I could be part of the crew and be able to go under the house. I had to have my favorite one. It was orange, the only one that wasn't white. When I would wear the orange hat I was the boss. After getting my hat I had to help the crew load up the truck and trailer. Helping everyone load up was a big deal.
After everything was loaded up it was time to get going. Driving to Lincoln with two pickups, and one Mack, it took awhile. We talked about all sorts of things on that hot summer day. One person to the next my dad and I would pick on the ones who were riding in the pickups. My dad and I went back and forth on the two way radio talking up a storm to the rest of the crew.
Finally reaching our destination we all went to work. I went back and forth getting stuff off the pump, the stuff I was able to lift, and taking it to one of the guys. Hearing my name be called by many people made me realize I was there at the right time at the right spot. After awhile I couldn't help mush anywhere, since it was time to lift it up. But before we finished some last moment touches on it, I thought it was time for lunch. After eating it was time to sit back and relax. Some of the guys even took a nap for only five or ten minutes.
The time has come to lift the house up. I was able to push the handle up on the pump and watch the house go up little by little. After it went up has much as we needed it to, it was time to hook it up to the Mack. My uncle in the Mack was backing it to the house, just so we knew that it was as straight as it could be. It took a couple tries to get it back as far as we needed it to, and the other tries it took a bit to hook it up. After hooking it up we clean up and was getting ready to leave.
On the way home we just took the two pickups home. We piled in together. It was a shocker that we all fit. This time dad and I were just making jokes about all the guys in the other pickup. We got many laughs. Getting back to the yard we say good-bye then we all left.

Shorty

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Shorty- Beautiful story. A friend of mine had to have her house raised after some floods in upstate New York. What a job that was! Their whole basement was flooded and there was close to three feet of water (literaly) in the first level. All in all it took almost two years to rebuild the house and raise it up so that it would never flood again. Thanks for your story!